Salads that are hearty enough to be a whole meal are a favorite of mine, and, this easy homemade Nicoise Salad is no exception. Loaded with tender greens, potatoes, eggs, tuna, and a lemony dressing that brings it all together, grab a fork and dig in!. Craving a salad that’ll fill you up? This one’s for you!
Every great chef has their version of a classic French Salade Nicoise. This one is inspired by Ina Garten’s Nicoise Salad which is loaded with goodness.
Don’t be intimidated by this classic French salad! Much of it can be made ahead of time, and with common, humble ingredients, there’s nothing exotic or expensive about it.
Ingredients For Nicoise Salad with Tuna Recipe
There are so many variations of this salad, but this is by far my favorite. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Eggs – Hard-boiled. See my tips below to make the perfect eggs.
- Canned tuna – Look for water-packed tuna. Albacore tuna is my favorite, but any will do.
- Green beans – Fresh green beans, not frozen.
- Tomatoes – Look for lovely plump, ripe tomatoes.
- Kalamata olives – Get them already sliced and save yourself some prep work.
- Olive oil – Use the good oil in this recipe!
- Greens – I like tender hearts of romaine (also called baby cos), but any tender mixed greens or single lettuce will work.
- Baby chat potatoes – Or other baby potatoes; roasted.
For the dressing for Nicoise Salad:
- Lemon juice – Freshly squeezed.
- Extra virgin olive oil – Again, use the good oil in this salad recipe.
- Garlic – Fresh and finely minced.
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper – Of course! This Nicoise Salad dressing needs a pinch of salt and pepper.
How To Make This Salad Nicoise Recipe
- Hard-boil the eggs. How to hard boil eggs? Put eggs in a pot with cold water onto the stove and bring to a boil. Boil for 7 minutes, then turn off the heat and put a lid on the pot. Leave the lid on the pot for 10 minutes, then cool the eggs under cold running water and peel them. Cut them into quarters and set them aside.
- Blanch the green beans. How to blanch green beans? Bring a salted pot of water to a boil and then drop in the green beans. Boil for one minute, then drain the beans and pop them into an ice water bath to chill and set the green color.
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges.
- Wash and spin-dry the lettuce.
- Prepare the potatoes. You can air fry the potatoes, or roast them in the oven. They should be fork-tender and chilled. Leftover potatoes work great in this recipe.
- Drain the tuna.
- Make the vinaigrette: put the lemon juice, oil oil, garlic, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper into a jar and shake it to combine.
- Assemble: Tear the lettuce into bite-size pieces and arrange it on a serving plate or bowl and nicely arrange the toppings over it. Drizzle with the lemon dressing and serve!
How To Store This Tuna Nicoise Salad Recipe?
Once the dressing is on the greens, the salad won’t keep for long. If you know you’re not going to eat it all right away, then it can keep in the fridge for a few days. Here’s how to store it:
- Pack the leftover tuna in its own airtight container and refrigerate.
- The greens will keep crisp in an airtight container or zipper-top plastic bag for a few days. Add a paper towel in there to absorb excess moisture.
- The potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, eggs, and olives can keep each other company in another airtight container.
- The dressing for Salad Nicoise should be refrigerated separately; shake it to recombine.
- Use fresh tuna instead of canned.
- Boil potatoes instead of roasting them.
- Add anchovy fillets.
- Add fresh thyme or basil to the lemon vinaigrette in this classic salad.
- Add white beans for extra fiber and flavor.
- Add cherry tomatoes instead of tomato wedges.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Nicoise Salad Recipe
What Kind of Tuna For Nicoise Salad?
You’ll find a dizzying selection of canned tuna at the grocery store. White tuna refers to albacore tuna, while light tuna can be skipjack, bigeye, yellowfin, or even a combination of them. White tuna has a milder flavor than we’re looking for in this recipe
What to Serve With Nicoise Salad?
.This entree salad is hearty enough to be a meal all on its own, but if you want something else with it, consider a lovely soup or a slice of crusty buttered bread.
What to Do With Leftover Nicoise Salad?
Have you ever heard of pan bagnat? This is a hearty sandwich that also comes from Nice, France, the birthplace of Salad Nicoise. The sandwich is filled with all the ingredients of this salad but without the potatoes.
How Do You Pronounce Salad Nicoise?
Salad nee-swa is how you pronounce the name of this traditional French recipe.
Is this a healthy tuna Nicoise salad?
Yes, it’s very good for you! It’s loaded with vegetables, proteins, and healthy fats.
How many calories are in Nicoise Salad?
Please see the following recipe card for nutritional details
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Easy Homemade Tuna Salad – Salad Nicoise
- Can Opener
- Bowl for assembling salad
- Pan or oven or air fryer for roasting potatoes
- Baby Cos Lettuce Roughly tore into pieces
- 8 oz Tuna Canned – 240 g can See Notes
- 8 Baby Chat Potatoes Or 2 Large White Potatoes
- 4 oz Green beans 120 g – Fresh or frozen
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Tomatoes Sliced into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup Olives Pitted Kalamata, sliced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
French Vinaigrete Dressing
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- Slice baby chat potatoes in half, toss in a bit of salt, and air fry for 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, Slice all salad vegetables( lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and green beans) as per the recipe card, and to a bowl.
- Boil eggs in water for about 6-8 minutes. Peel eggs under cold water, and slice them in quarters.
- Drain the liquid from the tuna can, and add the tuna to the salad,
- Add eggs to the salad.
- Next, add the potatoes, and gently toss the salad.
French Vinaigrette Dressing
- Add all ingredients to a jar, shake well, pour over salad, and serve.