This Air Fryer Fish (Fried Masala Fish) needs just four ingredients and is ready in under 20 minutes. Keto friendly, gluten-free, paleo approved, this fish recipe requires no batter, breadcrumbs, flour, or oil. Serve as an low-carb appetizer, or as a main with salad, and potatoes.
Check out our other quick and easy weeknight dinner ideas using just an air fryer here.
As more of my family and friends are going low-carb and gluten-free, I am increasingly in search of recipes that most can eat. This air fryer fish is my favorite because it needs 4 basic pantry staples, cooks quickly, and is hands-off. You can marinate use any firm fish, and use any marinade, like this Texas BBQ Rub.
This recipe is from the western coast of India called Konkan and is often served with wheat chapatis, rice, and sol kadhi. It makes a fantastic snack or appetizer too.
WHY YOU SHOULD TRY THIS INDIAN MASALA FISH
- Quick and easy recipe
- No fancy marinade ingredients required
- No lengthy prep time
- Packed with flavor
- No added oil is necessary. All fat is natural fish oil.
- Tastes just like takeaway, but healthier.
- Add some spice to your weeknight meals.
This has been my family’s go-to recipe on a weekly basis. Pre-air fryer days, the fish would be coated in semolina or rice flour and shallow fried in a pan. Now thanks to air fryers, we can keep it low carb, and lower fat, without sacrificing any of the taste.
- Fish sliced thin – I have used a pomfret for this recipe. Pomfret is white, lean, and firm fish. You can also use Catfish, Grouper, Swordfish, Halibut, or any firm fish fillets.
- Kashmiri Chili Powder – This is very mild powder – between 1000-2000 Scoville heat units. It is used more for its vibrant red color than its heat. Due tothis, it is also used for milder curry dishes like Butter Chicken and Tikka Masalas.
- Turmeric Powder
- Coriander Powder – Coriander powder is ground up seeds of Cilantro plant, and well tolerated even by those who cannot have Cilantro leaves.
- Optional – Tamarind Paste – If you like to add a tangy flavor to your fish.
That’s all. It is a really simple dish.
Step-by-step process with photos to make Air Fryer Fish (Indian Masala Fish)
Some helpful tips to make Air Fryer Fish (Indian Masala Fish)
- Fish Cuts – As your butcher/fishmonger to prep the fish for you. It can be difficult to do this at home if you do not have the right knives. Just ask them to take the head and tail off, clean the guts, and slice thin.
- Salt marinade – Once you coat the fish with dry marinade, leave it aside for about 10 minutes. This ensures the flesh is well salted.
- Adding tamarind is optional – It adds a beautifully sweet and tangy flavor to the fish. Skip if you do not have tamarind pulp.
- Spacing Fish in Air Fryer Basket – Do not crowd the fish pieces in your air fryer basket. Air fryers work by circulating hot air around the basket, making for efficient frying. For best results, keep some gap between the fish pieces. If they do not all fit in one basket, fry in two or three batches. The extra time will be worth it.
- Adjusting Cooking Time: The size and capacity of fryers vary, as do the size of fish pieces. Adjust time accordingly. Just remember to cook till you reach a safe internal temperature of 145 F or 63 C. The fish should look slightly golden. Do not overcook fish as it will dry out.
Frequently Asked Questions About Air Fryer Fish
What other fish are suitable for this recipe?
Pick any white fish to substitute for pomfret. Some suggestions are as follows
- Sea Bass
- Red Snapper
- King Fish
- Spanish Mackerel
- Cat Fish
- Grouper etc
Other than white fish, Salmon can also be used for this recipe. Just cook it between 6-8 minutes, and check for doneness.
Do not have an Air Fryer?
Oven Method: Heat oven to about 400 F or 200 C. Please marinated fish on a baking tray lined with wire racks or baking paper. Bake for about 10 minutes.
Pan Fry Method: Spray oil, or add a tablespoon of oil to a pan. Once the oil is hot, place fish pieces on the pan, leaving some space between them. On medium heat, the fish will cook for 8-10 minutes. Turn after 4-5 minutes.
What can be served with Air Fryer Fish?
Some suggestions to serve with Indian Masala Fish
For Keto/Low Carb accompaniments :
More Air Fryer Recipes You Might Enjoy:
More Keto/Low Carb Recipes To try:
Looking for something meaty? Try this Keto Cheeseburger Casserole by Kicking Carbs.
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Air Fryer Fish (Indian Masala Fried Fish)
- 1 Air Fryer Optional – Pan to shallow fry
- 1 lb Pomfret Fish (1 lb = 400 g) See note #1 for substitution
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder See note #2 for substitution
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Paste Optional
- Clean fish, and get rid of head and tail.
- Slice into thin slices. Your butcher should be able to do the cleaning and slicing for you.
- Mix all marinade powders and sprinkle them on the fish.
- With your hand, rub the marinade well on all sides.
- Leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Air Fry for 10 minutes at 350 F or 180 C or till golden brown. See note #3
- Serve immediately.
Health Advice: We are not medical professionals or dieticians. Please consult your doctor if a diet or way of eating is suitable for you.
Nutritional Panel: Our nutritional values are calculated by Spooncular API. While we try our best to ensure these values are correct, please confirm these independently.