Crunchy Spiced Air Fryer Potato Wedges – Perfectly balanced salty, spicy, sweet, and tangy seasoning with that oh-so-satisfying crunch! The ultimate comfort food crunch without the deep-fried calories.
Dips – They are delightfully compatible with just so many dips. Pair them with ketchup, BBQ sauce, mint yogurt dip, date-tamarind sauce, garlic aioli, sour cream+ sweet chili combo, ranch, blue cheese, Szechuan sauce, guacamole, sriracha ….. I am getting carried away here!
Sriracha will dial up the heat and sour cream will tone it down. Or completely skip the chili powder to suit your heat tolerance.
All-purpose or floury potatoes: Whitewashed, dirt brushed, Russets, King Edward, Kipfler, purple sweet potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, Desiree, Dutch Cream, are all suitable. These mature potatoes are low in water and high in starch. They can hold their shape well during frying and stay crispy.
New potatoes (typically small round) are waxy and not suitable for deep frying.
Temperature – Airfryer temperature needs to be about 190 C or 390 F. Too hot, and they will burn at the edges before the insides are cooked well. Too low, and they might be too soggy. Preheating the air fryer for 3-5 minutes helps cook the fries evenly.
Oil: Any oil with a reasonably high smoking point can be used. eg ExtraLight Olive oil, Avocado Oil, Peanut Oil, Vegetable Oil, Ghee, etc.
Food Safety and storage: Avoid potatoes that have gone greenish. Green potatoes indicate a presence of a toxin called solanine. This happens when they are exposed to too much sunlight. Always store potatoes in a cool dry area with ventilation.
Layering in Air Fryer – while it’s tempting to dump everything at once in your air fryer basket, it’s a good idea to your wedges in batches. Spead just one layer of wedges with some space in between for air to circulate well. This may take longer, but the results are worth it!
Soaking – Once cut, soak wedges in cold water for about 20-30 minutes. While this is not completely necessary, it helps to crunch up the fried better.
Side with – Serve them by themselves or with a dip or try Air Fryer Chicken, Air Fryer Wings, Air fryer fish. pulled pork burgers and slaw, or even some masala chai!
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- 1 Air Fryer
- 1 Peeler
- 1 Chopping board and knife
- 1 kg potatoes ( 4 large )
- 4 Tbsp olive oil or other cooking oils (see notes)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika or Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp corriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp citric acid / dry mango powder / sumac powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper (ground)
- Wash and peel potatoes.
- Slice vertically and then slice each half into 4-6 wedges.
- Add to a deep bowl and cover with water.
- Cover and keep for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain water and dry the wedges with a paper towel or kitchen cloth.
- Add oil to the potatoes and mix gently to coat well.
- Mix the rest of the dry ingredients for seasoning and add them to the wedges.
- Toss gently to coat evenly.
- Pre-heat air fryer for 3 to 5 minutes (see note #) at 200 C or 390 F
- Arrange just one layer of wedges on the tray of your Air Fryer.
- Fry for 10 minutes.
- Flip wedges and fry for another 5 minutes. Check if golden brown and crispy. If not, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot immediately with dip of your choice.
6 Comments on “Air Fryer Potato Wedges”