Make these extra crispy Air fryer Chicken Drumsticks – no batter, no deep-frying, and no breadcrumbs needed!
Serve with your favorite sauce and a side of salad, and you have the perfect low-carb meal ready. For your carb-loving tribe, add some delicious crunchy Air Fryer Potato Fries. This is one easy and quick dinner that ticks all the boxes. It’s low carb/keto-friendly, and gluten-free.
Why you should make these Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks?
Here’s why –
- No flour or breadcrumbs are needed – The low carb count helps you stick to your macros while hitting your protein goals.
- Cooks in under 20 minutes. Perfect for whipping up a high-protein meal in a jiffy.
- No marinades are required.
- No added oil is required.
- Most importantly, with the oh-so-satisfying crunch that we miss out on keto!
What are the ingredients in these Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks?
The ingredient list is short and simple.
- Chicken drumsticks with skin –
- Baking Powder (NOT baking soda)
- Salt and Pepper
How to cook Crispy Chicken Drumsticks?
Prepping the chicken:
The prepping is very simple.
- Pat dry chicken drumsticks with a paper towel
- Mix the salt, pepper, and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Rub the salt mix over the drumsticks well. Coat evenly.
- Leave it in the refrigerator uncovered for 8 hours. This ensures that the baking powder draws moisture from the skin, prepping it to crisp up during cooking. Do not skip this important step. It will ensure a good crunch after air frying.
How do I cook Air Fryer Drumsticks?
Air Fryers rely on Rapid Air Technology. The heating element on top, radiates heat downwards, while the fan circulates hot, dry air efficiently around the food to crispy it up. Any moisture in the air is thrown out via the vents at the back.
To ensure perfect crispness, make sure the air fryer basket is not too crowded. When food is spaced well, the hot crisp air can flow through well and do its job. This is the key to efficient air frying.
How long do I cook Air Fryer Drumsticks for?
The cook time for air-fried chicken depends on your air fryer, and the size of the drumsticks. Generally speaking, for large drumsticks, 20 minutes at 350 F/ 180 C is enough. Reduce time for smaller drumsticks.
Once ready, serve them with buffalo wing sauce, low-carb BBQ sauce, or any of your favorite dressings. Add a side salad for a complete meal. Try our quick and easy Indian Kachumber Salad.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use any other cuts of chicken?
This Air fryer Chicken drumsticks recipe can be used for chicken legs as well as for any of your favorite cuts like chicken breasts, and chicken leg quarters. Just keep the skin on. Chicken skin keeps the delicious fat in, which adds flavor to the dish.
Fat equals flavor!
Can I cook frozen chicken in the air fryer?
Yes! This is the beauty of your air fryer. Just pre-heat the air fryer for 5-7 minutes, and add the prepped chicken. You might need to add an extra 5-10 minutes to check the doneness. It is important to use a meat thermometer to be sure.
Note about Food Safety
Internal temperature for chicken should reach 165 F / 75 C and stay at that mark for at least 15 seconds.
Can I add more flavors to Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks?
What do I serve these with?
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes:
More Recipes You May Like:
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Air Fryer Drumsticks
- 1 Large Glass Bowl Or any non reactive material like steel, enamel or ceramic.
- 1 Air Fryer
- 1 Small Bowl for mixing marinade powders
- 8 Chicken Drumsticks with skin.
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder Not Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Ground Pepper White or Black
- Mix salt, baking powder, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pat dry chicken drumsticks with paper towels, so they are as dry as possible
- Place the drumsticks in the large bowl and add sprinkle salt, baking powder, and pepper mix all over.
- Rub the mix all over the drumsticks so they are evenly covered. This step is important.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 8 hours, uncovered.
- When ready to fry, just place the drumsticks in your air fryer baskets.
- Cook for 180 C / 350 F for about 20 minutes.
- Check for doneness with a meat thermometer. It hsould reach 75 C / 165 F for atleast 15 seconds.