This roasted veggie pasta salad is a great way to use up vegetables about to wit in your fridge. Healthy and packed with flavors, it’s a great meal on its own or as a side with your favorite protein. It’s a delicious way to get your ‘5 a day’ veggies.
For more vegetarian recipes, browse our collection here. Vegetarian Recipes.
This colorful vegetable pasta salad is my go-to for week night dinners, potlucks, as well as picnics. It’s perfect eaten warm or cold, and travels well. It stays well in the fridge for quick lunches, and a healthy snack. It is easy to make a huge batch and feed a crowd.
Why you should try this Roasted Veggie Pasta Salad
- Use up vegetables lying in you fridge or freezer – no need to let them wilt and chuck at the end of the week.
- Delicious way to get a colorful medley of healthy vegetables with all the goodness and fibre.
- Cheap way to bulk up meals and feed a crowd.
- Tweak it your own way with vegetables you love
- Serve warm or as cold pasta salad.
Ingredients for Roasted Veggie Pasta
Use this as an opportunity to use up all the wilting vegetables you may have. I have used the following –
Zucchini – These are great all rounders with a neutra taste and firm texture. Do not peel the skin for this recipe.
Onions – I have used red onions. Use any sweet variety.
Tomatoes – I have use ripe Roma tomatoes as they are sweet and juicy. This is great to add some liquid to the pasta.
Red Bell Peppers – You can also use yellow bell peppers or a can of chargrilled bell peppers.
Whole garlic – USe whole garlic pods without peeling them.
Mushrooms – I have used button mushrooms. Feel free to substitute with any other type.
Other vegetables that will go with this pasta salad are – eggplants, artichokes, squash, asparagus, and yellow and green bell peppers.
Pasta: I have used store-bought penne pasta. You can also use other short pasta like fusilli, farfalle, and elbow pasta.
Water: Get a medium to large-sized saucepan to allow the pasta to cook properly and not lump together.
Salt: A good quantity for 7 oz/ 200 g of pasta (for 4 people) is 2 teaspoons in 4 cups of water.
Balsamic Vinegar – Is slightly sweet than normal vinegar. If using Red Wine Vinegar, add dash of honey or maple syrup or your favorite seeetner.
Seasoning – Salt and Ground Pepper
Dried herbs – I have used oregano and rosemary.
Red Pepper Flakes
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Creamy Cheeses like Ricotta or Mascarpone
Fresh Basil Leaves – For garnish
How to make Veggie Pasta Salad
Slice your vegetables in similar sizes so they roast uniformly. I have cut them as shown below. Separate the garlic pods and discard extra skin. Do not peel the skin before roasting. This prevents the garlic from burning too quickly.
Oven: Preheat oven to 360 F / 180 C for 10 minutes.
1. Place all chopped vegetables on a baking sheet or roasting pan. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs, and balsamic vinegar. Mix well. Place the tray in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven, and turn the veggies on once. Continue to roast for another 10 minutes or till the veggies look slightly caramelized and shrunk.
2. While the vegetables are roasting in the oven, bring the water to a boil in a medium to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add salt. Add pasta and stir so the pasta does not fall into one pile. Let the pasta boil for about 8 – 10 minutes till al-dente. Stir pasta at least 2-3 times during the cooking process so they do not clump together while cooking.
3. Once the vegetables are roasted, squeeze the garlic pods, and remove the flesh. Discard peels.
4. Once the pasta is cooked just right (it should have a bite, and not be mushy), drain the pasta water immediately, and place the pasta in a large serving bow. Add the roasted veggies and toss to mix.
5. Taste the veggie-pasta mix, and adjust the seasoning if required. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar and let it soak.
6. Optional: Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, top with a dollop of ricotta, and garnish with basil leaves. Serve hot or cold.
Some Useful Tips and Notes
Balsamic Dressing – Since we have added garlic, salt, pepper, and herbs in the roast tray, the dressing need not have these ingredients. Balsamic vinegar is sweeter than Red Wine Vinegar. You can substitute balsamic vinegar with red wine vinegar and add a dash of maple syrup to make up for the lack of sweetness.
Lining a roasting pan – You do not have to line your roasting pan. I do it for easy cleaning afterward.
Turn the tray in the oven – If the veggies are beginning to burn at the back where it is hotter, remove the tray, turn it around, and put it back in the oven. With this, the veggies at the back are now in the front, and will not burn.
Pasta cooking time – DIfferent kids of pasta require different cooking times. The end results need to be al-dente (firm to bite) For penne, the manufacturer’s instructions said 10 minutes, however it was ready in 8. So it’s a good idea to check a couple of minutes earlier than instructed.
Frequently Asked Questions About Veggie Pasta Salad Recipe
How else can I cook these veggies?
Air Fryer : Add seasoned vegetables in air fryer and cook at 360 F/ 180 C for about 8 to 10 minutes. At 5 minutes, shuffle the vegetables around with a spoon.
Grill: These vegetables can also be cooked on hot grill. Just make sure the slices are bigger so they do not fall through the grates.
Wok/ Pan: Heat a pan or wok on a high temperature. Add oil and wait till smoking point. Add vegetables in small batches so they do not crowd the pan and start sweating. Working quickly keep frying till they are roasted light golden brown.
What can I serve with Veggie Pasta Salad?
For a vegetarian pasta salad, you can add various cheeses like feta. For a hit of protein, shredded deli chicken canned tuna, are all quick options.
Some other suggestions-
Crock Pot Cube Steak by Glenda Embree
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Veggie Pasta Salad
For Roasted Vegetables
- 2 Zucchinis
- 2 Red Bell Peppers (Red Capsicums)
- 2 Onions
- 6 Tomatoes
- 6 Mushrooms
- 1 bulbs Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Dried Herbs
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper (ground)
Balsamic Dressing – See Note #1
- 4 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 7 oz Penne Pasta (7 oz=200g)
- 8 cups Water
- 4 tsp Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 360 F / 180 F
- Line a roasting pan or a baking sheet with baking paper. See Note #2
- Cut vegetables into slices. (See photos for the cutting suggestions)
- Separate garlic cloves and keep the skin on.
- Place all prepped vegetables on the roasting tray.
- Add olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs, and stir well.
- Spread veggies evenly on the roasting tray.
- While the veggies are roasting, cook the pasta (see instructions below)
- Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes. Remove tray from the oven, and turn the veggies once. See Note #3
- Roast for another 10 minutes until the veggies look roasted and shrunk. Squeeze garlic flesh out of the skin.
Cooking The Pasta (Penne)
- Place water on heat and add salt.
- When it starts boiling, add the penne pasta and give it a gentle stir, so they do not clump together.
- Once you add pasta, the water will stop simmering.
- Once the water starts boiling again, set a timer for 8 minutes. See note #4
Stir It All In
- Drain pasta and add to a large serving bowl.
- Add all the roast veggies to the pasta along with all the juices.
- Adjust seasoning if required
- Add some olive oil, and balsamic vinegar, toss well, and serve.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese and top with creamy cheeses like ricotta, mascarapone, etc
More Content You Might Enjoy:
Information given here is for general purposes only. Please check with your doctor particular ingredient or way of eating is suitable for you. Our nutritional values are calculated by Spooncular API. While we try our best to ensure these values are correct, please confirm these independently.