Smokey, fragrant low-carb fried rice with all the flavors of your favorite takeaway, minus the carbs!
Try our all-purpose Chinese Stir-Fry Sauce (Brown Sauce)
Why you should make Keto Cauliflower Fried Rice.
This Keto Cauliflower Fried Rice hits the spot perfectly when I am craving Chinese Takeout. It tastes like the real thing, without the carb overload. Do not worry, this does not smell of cauliflower, yet has the moreish mouth-feel of proper fried rice. This is guaranteed to feature in your weekly menu – It’s a quick and easy weeknight dinner too.
The secret to this rice-like texture is prepping and cooking the cauliflower so it is more like rice, and less like a vegetable. Read on to see how…….
INGREDIENTS FOR KETO CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE WITH EGGS
- Oil for stir-frying. Use any neutral-smelling oil like rice bran, canola, sunflower, or vegetable oil. Avoid fragrant fats like coconut oil, olive oil, or ghee.
- Garlic and Onion
- Ham pieces
- Frozen vegetable mix like carrot, peas, and corn. (use fresh if you have them instead)
- Sauce Ingredients: soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, Chinese cooking wine
- Cauliflower whole
How to make Keto Cauliflower Fried Rice With Egg
- In a food processor, add the cauliflower pieces and process till diced well. Do not process for too long or it will get minced.
- Heat oil in a wok till smoking point. Swirl the oil till it coats a bit of the side of the wok.
- Beat eggs, and swirl the egg mixture till it coats the sides of the wok.
- Scramble egg quickly, remove and set aside.
- Clean the wok with a paper towel, if necessary, and add more oil.
- Quick fry garlic and onions till slightly caramelized. they do not need to go brown.
- Add ham pieces and slightly brown them till well cooked.
- Now add corn, carrots, and peas and cook them.
- Toss in shredded cabbage and fry well till slightly caramelized.
- Add the sauces (oyster sauce, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine)
- Drizzle sesame oil
- Next, add the egg bag and mix everything well.
- Add riced cauliflower, and stir fry till well combined.
- Garnish with greens, and serve hot.
Prepping the cauliflower: This is an extra step – Slice the cauliflower head into medium-sized chunks and heat them in an oven or air fryer on low heat for about 10 minutes. This results in a bit of dried-out cauliflower, which makes it less mushy while cooking. The resulting ‘grains’ will have a firmer texture and a good bite. Skip this step if you are in a hurry.
Short Cut for the sauce: Check out our recipe for All-Purpose Chinese Stir-Fry Sauce (Brown Sauce) to keep andy for various dishes.
Wok: Asian stir-fries do not overcook vegetables, which keeps them fresh and crunchy. This is best done in a wok. Woks are made of thin carbon steel and heat the food quickly at a high temperature. The thin walls do not retain heat, which prevents the cooking of your food after taking off from the flame.
Keep Quick Stirring: For fried rice that stays fluffy and does not cook into a mush, keep stirring and spreading the contents up along the sides of the wok.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT KETO CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE
- How long will my Cauliflower Fried Rice last? – Cauli-Rice will last 3 days in the fridge if kept in an air-tight container. Do not store in the freezer, as vegetables might get mushy.
- Why does my Cauliflower Fried Rice look mushy? – Overcooking cauliflower will make it mushy due to its water content. Once all other vegetables are cooked, and their water content evaporated, add cauliflower in the end and just give this a very quick stir fry on high heat.
- What variations can I do: Instead of ham, you can add chicken, shrimp, pork, beef, bacon, or even tofu. Cook raw meat well before adding vegetables.
- Add protein – Want to add more protein? Try these delicious Garlic Butter Chicken Bites by Keto Cooking Wins.
- More chicken dishes? – Try these Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts by Glenda Embree
More Keto recipes you might enjoy:
More Asian recipes to try :
Watch How To Make It
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 head Cauliflower
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic (minced)
- 4 tbsp Ham (diced)
- 0.5 cup Onion
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables (Corn, Peas, Carrots)
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 0.5 tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine
- 0.5 tsp Sesame Oil
- Salt – to taste
- 0.5 tsp Pepper (powdered) – to taste
Stir Fry Sauce
- Mix soy sauce, oyster sauce, chinese cooking wine in a bowl and keep aside.
- Dice garlic and onions
- Dice carrots, (if not using frozen mix) Keep aside with corn and peas.
- Shred cabbage and keep aside.
- Add cauliflower in the food processor and dice. (see picture)
- Dice ham and keep aside.
- Arrange ingredients as shwn in picture. This makes it easier to work quickly when the wok and oil is hot.
To Stir Fry
- Heat wok or a deep pan to high heat. Add half the oil.
- Beat one egg and add to wok. Scramble it and remove from wok. Keep aside.
- Add remaining cooking oil and heat till smoking point.
- Add garlic, and onion, and fry till slightly brown.
- Add ham and fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the stir fry sauce as mentioned above.
- Keep frying till all ingredients look dry.
- Add mixed vegetables and cabbage. Do not crowd the vegetables as they will start sweating and go soggy. Spread them around in the wok.
- Add scrambled egg and mince it with spatula.
- Add salt and pepper. At this point taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add cauliflower and fry till well coated and smokey.
- Sprinkle sesame oil and mix well.
- Garnish with diced spring onions greens and serve.