This Chinese All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce (Brown Sauce) is a make-ahead stir fry sauce to make your weeknight dinners quick and even better than takeaways! This is a must-have sauce for all Chinese food lovers. Just the perfect balance of salty, umami, and just a touch of sweetness.
This deeply flavored easy mix sauce is just the arsenal you need in your fridge to make the quickest weeknight meals, just like your Chinese favorite takeaways! Once you have this ready in a jar, all you need is a wok and some vegetables to whip up a quick and easy dinner! Like our Kung Pao Chicken, or Keto Fried Rice.
What is in Stir Fry Sauce?
Chinese Stir fry sauce has the following ingredients
- Soy Sauce / Light Soy Sauce – This is the all-purpose soy sauce available in all supermarkets and forms the bulk of this sauce.
- Dark Soy Sauce – Less salty than light soy, dark soy sauce brings that beautiful brown color typical of the stirfries we love.
- Oyster Sauce – This thick and viscous sauce brings the perfect balance of umami, sweet, and salty to stirfries. It also adds a depth of flavor. It is made from oyster juices, salt, and sugar. For vegetarian/vegan version, substitute with hoisin sauce. A gluten-free option that swaps well is Tamari sauce, which is made of soybeans.
- Black Chinese Vinegar – This wonderful vinegar has deep fruity and umami flavors. Skip this if you do not have this.
- Sesame Oil – No stir-fry is complete without the sweet and nutty flavors of sesame oil. It imparts that perfect takeaway aroma to your homemade dish.
- Salt, Sugar, and White Ground Pepper – Just a touch of seasoning to complete the flavors of your sauce.
How do I make this Chinese All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce (Brown Sauce)?
This is the easiest. Just add all ingredients to a clean glass jar, shake and you are done! Your stir fry sauce is now ready for use.
How long will Chinese All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce last?
All of the ingredients have a long shelf life and will last for at least a month. It is worth noting that since Oyster sauce needs to be stored in the fridge, this sauce mix will also need to be refrigerated. The rest of the ingredients have a long life. However, since it is transferred to a non-sterilized jar, it’s always better to use it. them within 4 weeks to be on the safer side.
How do I use Chinese All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce?
Heat oil in a wok and when smokey, fry your ingredients and just pour your sauce over them. It is that easy. as a rough estimate, you will need 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of sauce per serve.
Once you use it, you will notice how easy it is to create many of your favorite dishes in a jiffy!
What dishes can I make with Chinese Stir Fry Sauce?
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Chinese All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 Glass Jar with air tight lid
- 4 tbsp Soy Sauce Light Light
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce Dark
- 2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine
- 1 tbsp Black Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper ground
- Add all ingredients in a jar, shake well and store in the fridge.