An easy and quick family favorite with vegetables, tender chicken, warm broth, and noodles. Low carb, gluten-free options included.
Some more recipes you may like :
Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup
Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup is a chunky, rich, and delicious soup that’s perfect on so many levels. With a vegetable-infused broth, miles of noodles, and chunks of tender chicken, this easy and quick soup is perfect on a cold day, if you’ve got a cold or the flu, or whenever you need a hug in a bowl.
Chicken noodle soup is everywhere. From cans at the grocery store to being served hot at your favorite deli, there’s a reason you can find it in so many places: because it’s delicious.
But when you add even more vegetables to it, a few red chilies and spicy Sichuan peppers, it becomes a whole new kind of chicken noodle soup. This Asian chicken noodle soup recipe is so much better than any plain old chicken noodle soup. Give it a try; I’m sure you’ll agree!
What You Need To Make This Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
We’re going to take a few shortcuts with this Chinese noodle soup recipe. First, to save some time, we will use store-bought chicken broth. Buy a good brand, and look for low or no-sodium added to control the salt.
Secondly, we’re using quick-cooking chicken thighs. You may be used to chicken breasts in your Asian chicken noodle soups, but thighs add SO MUCH MORE flavor!
You’ll also need:
- Vegetable oil – any neutral-flavored oil will do
- Onions – white or yellow onions
- Ginger-fresh is best!
- Chicken thighs – boneless and skinless
- Mushrooms – button, brown, shiitake, or your favorite mushrooms
- Bok choy – adds a lovely crunch!
- Red chilies – got to add some heat!
- Bay leaves – a must with any chicken soup recipe
- Sichuan peppers – bring on the flavor!
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
Optional garnishes for your homemade Chinese chicken soup:
- Red chilies
- Sliced spring onions (green onion) – just the green part
- Corriander (fresh cilantro)
How To Make This Easy Chinese Chicken Soup Recipe
- In a large soup pot, add the oil, and when it’s hot, add the onions. Cook until the onions are softened, then add the ginger and garlic.
- Cut the chicken thighs into strips and season them with salt and pepper. Add them to the onion mixture and cook until no longer pink inside.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Pop in a bay leaf and some Sichuan peppers – be careful, they’re hot! Some red chilies will add another layer of spice to this dish.
- Simmer, then add the sliced mushrooms and bok choy and cook until the veggies are still tender-crisp.
- Add your noodles, adjust the seasoning, and add your favorite garnishes.
Step-By-Step Video to Make Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup
Here are some tasty ways to change up this soup:
- Use cooked chicken – cooked shredded chicken can be used instead of raw chicken thighs
- Use chicken breast instead of thighs
- Try egg noodles instead of long pasta and cook noodles right in the broth
What Kind of Noodles Do I Use in Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup?
You have a few choices here. To make this a keto Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup, add Shirataki noodles. Drain and rinse the noodles before adding them to the soup.
Rice noodles are another great addition to Chinese noodle soups, or you can use whatever long, thin pasta you have in the house. Ramen noodles will also work.
How To Store Chinese Style Chicken Noodle Soup
This soup will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container. If you need to keep it longer than that, you can freeze it. However, a word of caution: shirataki noodles do not freeze nicely. They will turn into mush. It’s best to remove those noodles from the soup before freezing it.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Is Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup healthy?
Yes, not only is this a hearty and comforting soup, but it’s also good for you. The vegetables are cooked right in the broth, so you don’t lose any nutrients. It can also be a low-carb chicken noodle soup if you use shirataki noodles, and it is low in calories and fat.
Is this homemade Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup easy?
Yes, this is a super-easy soup to make, and it can be ready in about 30 minutes.
What other ingredients can I add to this Chicken Noodle Soup?
While this recipe is perfect the way it is, go ahead and make it your own. For chili lovers, add some chili oil or chili flakes. You can substitute the chicken with pork, beef, prawns, or tofu.
Is this a gluten-free Chinese noodle soup recipe?
The only gluten in this soup will come from your noodles. For gluten-free options, use rice noodles, or any other gluten-free options available.
Want more chicken dishes? Try these
Air Fryer Grilled Chicken Tenders
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 Wok Or deep pan or a medium to large soup pot.
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Onion sliced thin
- 1 tbsp Ginger diced or grated
- 1 tbsp Garlic diced or grated
- 1 lb Chicken cut in thin strips
- 6 cups Chicken Broth homemade or store bought
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Szechuan Peppers
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cups Mushrooms washed and sliced
- 1 tsp salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper for seasoning
- 2 bunches Bok Choy
- 4 serves Egg Noodles Or rice noodles or low carb noodles of choice
- 4 tbsp Green Onions sliced thin
- 4 tsp Red Chilies optional – sliced thin
- 1. Heat oil in a wok.
- 2. When oil starts to smoke slightly, add sliced onions, ginger, and garlic and stir fry quickly.
- 3. Add raw chicken strips and stir fry.
- 4. Add chicken broth with bay leaves and Szechuan (Sichuan) peppers and let the broth simmer till chicken cooks – about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 5. Add soy sauce and sesame oil.
- 6. Add mushrooms and bok choy leaves and simmer for further 2 minutes till they look slightly wilted. Do not overcook these vegetables.
- 7. Adjust salt and pepper as per taste.
- 8. While the broth simmers, cook noodles as per instructions and rinse under cold water to prevent overcooking. This can be done beforehand as well.
- 9. Divide the noodles equally in bowls.
- 10. Scoop up chicken and vegetables from the broth, and pour over the noodles.
- 11. Pour broth and garnish with green onions and red chilies.
- 12. Serve hot with a side of soy sauce and extra chilies.
5 Comments on “Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup”