This Masala Omelet Sandwich ( bread omelet), covered with pillowy soft bread pairs perfectly with a warm cup of masala chai for breakfast. Or pair it with fruit and yogurt packs to make a filling nutritious breakfast. If you love eggs, this is a must-try! This is also a good start to getting your five vegetables a day.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS MASALA OMELET SANDWICH
This Indian Style Masala Bread Omelette sandwich is one of the most common street foods in India. Thanks to its popularity, it has found a permanent place in a lot of cafes, railway canteens, and street stalls all over India.
Individual sandwiches stay perfect even as a picnic lunch and are always a hit with family and friends.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE MASALA OMELET SANDWICHES?
- Butter and oil for frying
- Green Chilies
- Green Bell Peppers (Green Capsicums)
- Spices: Turmeric, Chilli Powder, Salt, and Pepper
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
HOW DO I MAKE MASALA OMELET SANDWICH?
- Chop/ dice all vegetables.
- Beat eggs in a bowl, and keep them aside.
- In a deep pan, melt butter and add oil. Adding oil ensures the butter does not burn at higher temperatures.
- Add onions, ginger, and garlic and fry on medium heat till they are well cooked and slightly caramelized.
- Next, add chopped tomatoes, diced capsicum
- Add all the spice powders, including salt.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes are well cooked and the oil starts to separate.
- Add beaten eggs, give a quick stir, and spread the mixture in the same pan.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pan with a lid.
- The residual heat is enough to cook the eggs
- After 5 minutes, the omelet will set.
- Garnish with cilantro, and serve hot with buttered soft rolls (pav).
HOW DO I KEEP THIS KETO/LOW CARB?
You can eat this masala omelet by itself. To add fat, grate some cheddar cheese on top.
Instead of dinner rolls, use low-carb bread rolls to make the sandwich.
Spice Levels –
I have used a mild chili powder called Kashmiri chili. You will find it in all Indian grocery stores. It has low heat but gives a nice color to any curry you add it to. You can also use another mild variety like ancho chili powder, sweet paprika. The real heat comes from chopped green chilies. Add more if you love spicy or omit them completely for milder palates.
What do I serve with Masala Omelet?
This omelet also pairs well with roti or paratha which makes a popular breakfast in so many Indian-run cafes scattered all over the Middle East by the name “and-parota” Anda is egg, parota is layered flaky flatbread. You can also use wraps instead of bread.
For a low-carb version, use your favorite low-carb bread or just add cheese and have the omelet by itself.
The bread used in this recipe is the soft dinner rolls commonly available in Australia and everywhere. In India, these are called ‘pav’
If for some reason, the egg is stuck to your pan, it means the heat was too high. Just take it off the heat and scramble the mixture to make some delicious ‘bhurji’ – Indian Masala Scrambled Eggs. Serve it on toast or in a flatbread or a wrap or even a dinner roll to make an egg po-boy!
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
002 Masala Omelette Sandwich
- 4 Eggs Medium or Large
- 2 tsp Oil Olive Oil/Vegetable Oil/Ghee
- 1 tbsp Garlic Minced
- 1 tbsp Ginger Minced
- 1 tsp Green Chillies Finely Chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 cup Tomatoes Finely Chopped
- 1/2 cup Green Bell Peppers Finely Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder Kashmiri Variety or Paprika
- 2 tsp Cilantro Chopped – For Garnish
- 1 tsp Salt Adjust To Taste
- 2 Soft Dinner Rolls / Double Sandwich Slices/Low Carb Bread Slices
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1. Heat a flat pan and add oil.
- 2. Once the oil is hot, add ginger, garlic, onions and green chiilies
- 3. Keep frying till well cooked and slightly browned.
- 4. Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt, and chilli powder.
- 5. Cover and cook on low flame till tomatoes soften and the oil separates.
- 6. While the mixture is cooking, whisk the eggs and add a pinch of salt if required.
- 7. Once tomatoes cook, add green peppers and fry till cooked.
- 8. Add the chopped cilantro.
- 9. Add whisked eggs and mix well.
- 10. Before the mixture cooks, place the sliced buns on it, and let the eggs cook completely.
- 11. Flip and add butter to fry the sandwich. Serve with favourite sauce.