This Hidden Vegetable Mac And Cheese is perfect for fussy eaters of all ages! Packed to the brim with colorful, nutritious vegetables, it is surprisingly smooth and cheesy. It can be made gluten-free and vegan by swapping a few ingredients.
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Hidden Vegetable Mac And Cheese
Smooth, creamy bechamel sauce with vegetable puree, and elbow macaroniPrint Pin Rate
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 Cups Macaroni
- 8 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Salt
- 1 Cup Carrots
- 1 Cup Pumpkin
- 1 Cup Cauliflower
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Plain Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- Bring water to a boil, and salt.
- Add macaroni pasta and bring back to boil.
- Cook till al dente about 7 minutes.
- Drain water and keep the pasta aside.
- Add all vegetables to a saucepan.
- Add 1 cup water, cover, and cook for 8-10 minutes till soft.
- Carefully puree the vegetables in a blender or with a stick blender till smooth.
- Season with salt, and keep aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, and add flour.
- Keep whisking continuously for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/4th (about half a cup) of milk at a time and keep stirring.
- The flour will start lumping, which is expected.
- Keep whisking/stirring continuously as you add all the milk.
- Keep stirring/whisking till you get a thick smooth sauce that coats the back of your spoon.
- Take off the heat. Add shredded cheese and stir till completely melted.
Hidden Vegetable Mac & Cheese
- Add the puree to the cheesy sauce, and mix well.
- Add the cooked macaroni to cheese and vegetable sauce and mix well.
- Serve warm.
Calories: 473kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 3663mg | Potassium: 616mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 5809IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 206mg | Iron: 3mg
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?Mention @caramel.and.spice or tag #caramel.and.spice !
Nutritional Panel: Our nutritional values are calculated by Spooncular API. While we try our best to ensure these values are correct, please confirm these independently.
All information on our website is for general information only. Please consult your doctor if a diet, particular foods, or way of eating is suitable for you.