This recipe Air Fryer Cod Fish (No Breading) is a perfect way to prevent dry, overcooked fish. All it takes is a simple marinade and just the perfect amount of time to create a tangy, smokey, juicy fish fillet, that gets ready in no time.
After my popular Air Fryer Masala Fish, I decided to give Cod a try. And the results are equally delightful!
Cod is one of those versatile fish that can take on any flavor from your marinade, without overwhelming it with its own flavor. It is handy to have it in your freezer for quick and healthy weeknight meals.
Reasons to love Air Fryer Cod Fish
- Air frying prevents soaking up too much oil compared to pan frying. Most excess oil drips away from the food.
- Light and Crispy Texture: Air frying still gives the fish a slightly crispy texture without the need for heavy breading.
- Quick and Easy: Air frying is a fast cooking method, significantly reducing cooking time compared to traditional baking. This recipe needs no pre-heating.
- Minimal Mess: Since there’s no breading involved, there are no breadcrumbs to clean up, resulting in less mess in the kitchen.
- Versatility: Air fryer cod fish can be seasoned and flavored in various ways, allowing you to get creative with your spices and herbs to suit your taste preferences.
- Codfish without breading is naturally gluten-free, making it an excellent option for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
- The flavors are mild enough for children.
- Low-Carb Option: Eliminating breading makes this a great ketogenic/low-carb option.
- Economical: Cod fish is often more affordable than other types of fish, making it a budget-friendly option for a delicious and nutritious meal.
I like the fact that there is no lengthy marinating time, I can even use frozen cod, and dinner is ready in under 15 minutes!
Can I fry fish in an air fryer? Yes, absolutely! As with any cooking method, it is critical to not overcook fish. Sometimes, even a couple of minutes can be too much. The insides need to be well cooked, yet stay moist. Nothing spoils a dinner like dry chewy fish!
Cod Fish Fillets: If using frozen, just thaw them in the microwave.
Olive Oil: I have used Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Lemon Juice: For a refreshing citrusy flavor!
Lemon Slices: Add a concentrated burst of zesty lemony flavor.
Smoked Paprika: Mild in heat, but imparts a beautiful rich color, and smoky flavor to your dish.
Garlic: It is a fantastic way to add depth of flavor and a delicious aromatic touch to your fish.
Salt & Pepper: For seasoning
Step-By-Step Process to Make Air Fryer Cod Fish (No Breading)
How do you cook cod fish in an air fryer? Here is a step-by-step recipe with pictures.
Squeeze the juice out of half a lemon. Slice the remaining half into discs. Mince the garlic clove. Add lemon juice, olive oil, salt pepper, minced garlic, and paprika in a bowl. Mix well.
Slice the cod fillets into about 3-4 inch long pieces. Add the cod fillets to the marinade, and rub well. Also, add the lemon wedges. Marinate for 5 minutes.
Arrange the marinated fish fillets in one single layer in your air fryer basket. Air fry at 356F/180 C for 6-8 minutes. With a meat thermometer, check that the internal temperature is 145ºF/63ºC. Do not overcook fish. Once the temperature has reached 145ºF/63ºC, remove it from the air fryer.
You can also tell the fish is cooked when it is flaky and separated easily by a fork. The flesh in the center at the thickest point should be flaky and opaque – not transparent. If it is still raw, cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook fish, as it will get dry and tough.
For low carb meal, serve it with low-carb sides:
More serving suggestions:
This recipe will work for all white fish like Cod, Haddock, Tilapia, Pollock, White Sea Bass, etc
Yes! The quick air circulation in an air fryer is perfect to cook fish that is tender and soft inside, without overcooking it.
For thin filets air fry at 356F / 180C for 6 to 8 minutes. The inside temperature should reach 145 F / 63 C. The flesh should look white and juicy (not translucent)
Yes, since is no flour, breadcrumbs, or other wheat products, there is no added gluten in this recipe.
More Healthy Fish Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Air Fryer Cod Fish (No Breading)
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Air Fryer
- 16 oz White Fish Fillet (450 grams) Cod, Haddock, Tilapia, Pollock, White Sea Bass
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Lemon (sliced in discs)
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Add ingredients except for fish in. a large mixing bowl. Mix well with a spoon.
- To this marinade, add the fish and rub well.
- Arrange the marinated fish fillets in one single layer in your air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 180 C for 6-8 minutes.
- With a meat thermometer, check that the internal temperature is 145ºF/63ºC.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional Panel: Our nutritional values are calculated by Spooncular API. While we try our best to ensure these values are correct, please confirm these independently.
All information on our website is for general information only. Please consult your doctor if a diet, particular foods, or way of eating is suitable for you.