This Rocky Road With Malteser is a delicious chocolate dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Originally created in Australia, this no-bake bar recipe is simple to follow and can be made in just a few steps. The end result will be a delightfully decadent treat that everyone will love.
Why You Will Love These Rocky Road With Maltesers
Easy, fast, and chocolatey? Yes, please! This no-bake chocolate delight is a simple treat that is sure to please both kids and grownups alike. With just a few ingredients and no baking required, this quick dessert can be whipped up in no time. Whether you’re looking for a post-dinner treat or a dessert for your next party, this delightful confection is sure to be a big hit. So go ahead and give in to your sweet tooth – you’ll be glad you did!
What is Rocky Road?
Rocky Road is a classic dessert that originated in Australia. It usually consists of chocolate, marshmallows, and nuts mixed together and then served as a bar. In America, it is more popular as an ice cream flavor. It can also be used as a topping for cakes and other desserts. It is a timeless treat that both kids and grownups love!
The great thing about Rocky Road is that it’s easy to customize with different ingredients like dried fruit, peanut butter, or even pretzels. This makes it a perfect snack or flavor.
It is often made with semi-solid chocolate (such as baking chocolate) which gives it its signature texture. It can also be made with milk, dark or white chocolate depending on your preference.
Rocky Road is a delicious and easy treat to make at home that everyone can enjoy! With the right ingredients, you can create a unique and flavorful version for yourself or for any special occasion.
What kind of chocolate do I need for this recipe?
Any chocolate can be used for making these rocky road bars, but the type of chocolate you use will affect the taste and texture of your finished product.
Baking chocolate chips are small and uniform in size, making them an easier option to use. They melt easily and evenly, creating a smooth texture in your baked goods.
Cooking chocolate bars are larger and not as uniform in size, so they can be difficult to work with. However, they have a richer flavor than baking chocolate chips, so they can be worth the extra effort. If using these, chop them into small pieces so they melt quickly.
Milk chocolate and dark chocolate are both good choices for this recipe. They have similar flavors, but dark chocolate has a richer flavor and is less sweet than milk chocolate.
White chocolate is also a good choice for baking, but it has a very sweet flavor and should be used in small quantities with milk or dark chocolate. White chocolate can also be used to create pretty swirls when mixed with milk chocolate. Another option is to drizzle the Rocky Road Bars with melted white chocolate for a stunning effect.
Other Ingredients That Go In Rocky Road Bars
Chocolate and marshmallows are a classic combination, but if you want to take your Rocky Road to the next level, there are a few key ingredients you’ll need.
First, you’ll need some shredded desiccated coconut for a classic Australian touch.
Maltesers: I have added some Maltesers to give some biscuity crunch to the bars. You can also add chopped-up digestive biscuits instead.
Raspberry Jelly Lollies: I have used Allen’s Raspberry Lollies. Other options are Haribo Jelly, jujubes, gummies etc. They add a chewy texture and pretty color to your bars.
Nuts: For the nuts, you can use peanuts or cashews – or a mix of both. I have used just cashew nuts for this recipe.
And last but not least, don’t forget the marshmallows! They’re the key ingredient in any Rocky Road. So there you have it – with these ingredients, you’ll be able to make the perfect Rocky Road.
Step-By-Step Instructions To Make Rocky Road Bars With Maltesers
1. Prepare the tray. Line a square or rectangular tray with baking paper or parchment paper. I have used a square tray which is 9 X 9 inches.
2. Measure out all ingredients and keep them ready. This is so that they are ready to be mixed when the chocolate is melted.
3. Place the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars and microwave at 50% power for about a minute. Stir gently, and keep microwaving in bursts of 30 seconds at 50% power till soft and melted.
4. Stir the chocolate till smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well t coat with the chocolate.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tray and spread evenly. Top with small pieces of marshmallows, nuts, and jelly for decoration.
6. Chill in the refrigerator for about an hour.
7. Once set, slice into bars and store in a cool dry place.
Rocky Road is best stored in the fridge. Store them in an airtight container for a month. They can also be stored in a cool dry place for 7-10 days. It can also be frozen for 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before eating.
This recipe makes 24 bars. Each bar weighs about 30 grams and has 190 calories.
Yes! It depends on the type of chocolate used. For vegan alternatives, use a dairy-free chocolate variety. Australian brands with dairy-free options include Sweet Williams and Noshu. You will also need to use a vegan jelly brand.
Choose certified gluten-free chocolate and lolly brands which are now widely available in most major supermarkets.
Some Useful Tips:
Measure and keep all ingredients ready. This is especially important if you are experiencing cold weather. The melted chocolate will start setting quickly in cold weather. Keep all ingredients ready to be added as soon as the chocolate has melted.
Chocolate does not like moisture. Make sure that the bowl and spoon are absolutely dry before using.
If you love no-bake easy lazy treats, give this lazy cake a try too. Also known as No-Bake Chocolate Biscuit Cake, takes only 10 minutes to whip up. No oven, no mixer, minimum effort, which makes it perfect to get your kids involved.
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Rocky Road Bars With Malteser
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Tray for chilling bars
- 3 Cups Chocolate Chips or 500 g (18 oz) Chocolate Bar – chopped
- 1 Cup Marshmallows
- 3/4 Cup Maltesers
- 1/2 Cup Raspberry Jelly
- 1/2 Cup Cashew Nuts
- 1/4 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- Line a square or rectangular tray with baking paper (parchment paper)
- Measure all ingredients and keep ready to added when chocolate melts.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate.
- Microwave at 50% power for 1 minute and stir gently.
- Microwave again in 30-second bursts at 50% power till the chocolate has softened and melted.
Mix All Ingredients
- Stir the chocolate till it is smooth, and add the remaining ingredients to it.
- Mix quickly till all ingredients are coated with chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the tray and chill for an hour.
- Slice bars and store in a cool dry place.
More recipes you may like
Or try these delightful Sea Salt Chocolate Dipped Caramels by From Michigan To The Table.
Nutritional Panel: Our nutritional values are calculated by Spooncular API. While we try our best to ensure these values are correct, please confirm these independently.
Information on our website is for general purposes only. Please consult your doctor if a diet, particular foods, or way of eating is suitable for you.