Learn how to make crispy fried onions without deep frying. Deep-fried onions are the perfect topping for burgers, salads, casseroles, and so much more. But they can also soak up a lot of oil, adding overall fat and calories to your meals. This recipe creates crispy onions in an oven or air fryer and keeps the calories lower.
Onions, along with garlic, are my kitchen staples. They add a deeper flavor to dishes and make them more savory. Crispy onions also add a nice crunch to creamier dishes. But I just hate burning all that oil, which smells of onions and can be hardly used for much else. So I prefer to make crispy onions without deep frying them so that I can enjoy their flavor without having to deal with the extra calories.
Why You Will Love These Crispy Onions Made Without Deep Frying
- Barely any oil required
- Achieve crispy texture without the deep frying
- Easy to make
- Made with regular pantry ingredients
One of the best things about making crispy onions without deep frying is that they come out just as delicious as if you had fried them. The key is using the right ingredients, cooking temperature, and correct to prevent them from going soggy.
Can you make crispy onions win an air fryer or an oven?
Yes, absolutely! Traditionally onions for casseroles are made by deep frying, but with ovens and air fryers, the same crispiness can be achieved effortlessly.
Ingredients for Crispy Onions
Onions: I have used brown onions. These have brown skin and cream-colored flesh. They tend to be pungent, add a deeper flavor to dishes, and make them more savory. Slice them thin, so they get crispier when combined with oil, flour, and bread crumbs.
Salt & Pepper: For seasoning
Oil: Use a neutral-smelling oil like canola oil, sunflower oil, peanut oil, avocado oil, and rice bran oil, to name a few. These oils also have a high smoking point which makes them perfect for air frying or oven frying. You only need a tablespoon or two. Skip it if you would like to make this recipe fat-free.
Flour: I have used all-purpose flour, which is perfect for adding structure to your onions. It also helps onions to stick to the bread crumbs and creates a crispy coating. Please see Frequently Asked Questions for substitutes.
Bread Crumbs: I have used Panko bread crumbs. These are Japanese-style bread crumbs, made from crustless white bread. White bread is coarsely ground and lightly baked to make the crumbs dry and flaky. As a result, your fried food gets an extra light and crunchier texture.
Step-By-Step Method to make Crispy Onions Without Deep Frying (Oven Or Air Fryer)
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, Panko bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
2. Slice onions into thin slices, and add oil.
3. Toss onions into the flour mixture, and coat well.
4. Place coated onions in a single layer on a baking tray and bake at 180C for 25 to 30 minutes
5. At about halfway mark ( after 10-15 minutes) carefully toss the onions around with a tong or spatula. This will ensure that the onions at the back, closer to the oven fan, do not burn.
Once crispy golden, cool the onions completely before storing them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions About Crispy Onions Without Deep Frying
Yes! Just replace the all-purpose flour with potato starch, cornflour, rice flour, or chickpea flour. Rice flour and chickpea flour are easily available in Indian grocery stores, while potato starch can be bought at Asian grocery stores.
Savory, pungent onions like brown onions or white onions are the best. They have less sugar, and will crisp up better while holding their shape.
Yes, you can. Spread the crumbed onions in a single layer and air fry at 160 C / 320 F for 25-30 minutes. Every 10 minutes, keep shaking the air fryer basket.
Whether you air fry your onions or oven-bake them, continue cooking for 5 – 10 more minutes till they crisp up. Cooking time can depend on how thick your slices are, and your oven. Check every 5 minutes to make sure they are not burning.
In the fridge: Crispy onions can last for a week or 10 days.
In the freezer: Onions can be stored for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container.
We Australians love our sausage sizzle with some onions on top.
What can I use the crispy onions in?
These crispy onions can add crunch and flavor to a variety of meals like soups, salads, casseroles, and even hot dogs.
Try our Green Bean Casserole with crispy onions.
Some More Suggestions: Salads, Sides, and Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
More Content You Might Enjoy:
More Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
More Air Fryer Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
How To Make Crispy Onions Without Deep Frying
- Oven or Air Fryer
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 Large Yellow Onions
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 4 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Bread Crumbs (Panko)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Spice Mix Of Your Choice (optional) (see notes)
Make Flour Mix
- Mix flour, crumbs, salt, and pepper to a big bowl.
- Slice onions into thin slices.
- Toss in oil and coat well.
- Add onions to the flour mixture
Bake In Oven
- Heat oven to 360 F / 180 C
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Spread floured onions on the tray in a single layer.
- Spray cooking oil over the onions.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or till golden brown.
- Every 10 minutes, carefully toss the onions around with a tong or spatula.
- Once crispy golden, cool the onions completely before storing them in an air-tight container.
Information given here is for general purposes only. Please check with your doctor particular ingredient or way of eating is suitable for you. Our nutritional values are calculated by Spooncular API. While we try our best to ensure these values are correct, please confirm these independently.