This Air Fryer Green Bean Casserole is a creamy and delicious holiday side dish. Made from just three ingredients, this creamy mushroom sauce-based green bean casserole can also be eaten as a healthy high-fiber, low-carb meal.
Green Beans Casserole is a classic American holiday side dish created by the Campbell soup company. Since then it is one of the most popular dishes to accompany meaty mains. I love this dish for its balance of crunchy and creamy, and loads of greens and fibers.
Why You Will Love This Air Fryer Green Bean Casserole
- Vibrant, crunchy green beans with a creamy sauce and crispy fried onions.
- No mushy beans texture
- Loaded with fibers and healthy greens
- Just 3 ingredients
- Can be made in the air fryer or the oven
- Perfectly complements heavier meaty dishes like ham and turkey
Can you make an easy green bean casserole in an air fryer?
Yes, absolutely! Traditionally casseroles are made in the oven, but with air fryers, the same quantity of food can be quickly and efficiently made in an air fryer as well. All you need is an oven-safe casserole dish that will fit into your air fryer basket.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Green Bean Casserole
Green Beans: I have used fresh green beans for this recipe. Canned beans look dull and go mushy, and frozen beans have a limp texture. Fresh green beans, when prepped correctly, stay vibrant green, and have a perfectly nice crunch that pairs well with the creamy sauce.
Mushroom Soup: You can use homemade sauce, or get a ready-canned version. I have used Campbells’s Condensed Cream Of Mushroom.
Fried Onions: You can use readymade Fried Onions, or make a low-fat version at home like these Crispy Onions (without deep frying).
Step-By-Step Method to make Air Fryer Green Bean Casserole
Quick Blanching Of Green Beans
Blanching of green beans is the secret to keeping this dish looking vibrant green with a crunchy texture. See our detailed step-by-step post on How To Blanch Green Beans here.
1. Trim the ends of green beans and wash them thoroughly under cold water.
2. Boil water and add salt. Then immerse the beans in boiling water for 3 minutes. Use your phone alarm or kitchen timer to keep this precise and not overcook.
3. While the beans are in boiling water, prepare an ice bath by adding ice and water to a large bowl. Once 3 minutes are up, remove the beans from the boiling water with a tong, and immediately immerse them in the ice bath for another 3 minutes. This will prevent the beans from cooking further, and turning mushy. Stir the water gently so the beans cool quickly and evenly.
4. After 3 minutes in the ice bath, drain all water completely and keep the beans aside. They are now ready to be used.
Assemble ingredients for Casserole
1. Cut green beans into 1 or 2 inches long pieces.
2. Place them in an air fryer-safe casserole dish or baking tray.
3. Pour the mushroom soup over the green beans.
4. Mix well. If the soup looks too thick, thin it out with 4 to 8 tablespoons of milk (optional)
5. Add half of the fried onions and mix well. Air Fry for 10 minutes at 360 F or 180 C
6. Spread the remaining onions over the top and air fry for another 2-3 minutes till crunchy golden brown.
Variations to Green Bean Casserole
Soup Base: You can replace mushroom soup with cream of chicken or any other creamy soup of your choice. If it’s too thick, thin it down with a few tablespoons of milk.
Umami Flavor: Adding soy sauce, tamari, or Worcestershire sauce can add a bit of depth and umami flavor. Be careful to not use too much, as the beans and already salted, and there is enough salt in the canned soup.
Top crunch: Add bits of bacon, bread crumbs, or parmesan cheese to the top.
Get cheesy: Add a cup of shredded cheese like Cheddar, Colby, or Gouda with the bean and soup mixture and then air fry.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
Can you put a casserole dish in an air fryer?
Yes, you can put any oven-safe dish in an air fryer. This includes oven-safe metal baking dishes, as well as oven-safe glass, silicone, and cast iron dishes.
How many cans of green beans equal 4 cups?
2 cans of green beans are about 4 cups. Please note that canned green beans tend to be mushy and pale, and where possible use french green beans.
How do you keep green bean casserole from getting mushy?
Start with the right kind of beans. Fresh green beans are the best. Canned beans tend to be mushy as well as dull green in color. Frozen green beans also tend to go mushy when thawed. Fresh beans, when blanched correctly, will retain their texture and color perfectly.
Can you overcook green bean casserole?
Onions have higher sugar content and will tend to caramelize and burn if left cooking for too long. Beans too can get overcooked in the creamy sauce, making them mushy. Avoid this problem by carefully following recommended blanching and cooking timings and temperatures.
Can I prep this green bean casserole recipe ahead of time?
Yes! Mix the blanched green beans and soup in your baking dish and refrigerate till you are ready to cook. When you are ready to cook, add onions as per the recipe and air fry or bake in the oven.
What can I serve with this Green Bean Casserole?
BBQ Chicken Thighs
Some Useful Tips
How to prevent air fryers from smoking?
Air fryers have a heating element and a fan at the top. Thanks to this downward-facing fan, hot air is rapidly circulated down through the air fryer basket. If there is grease accumulated at the bottom of the air fryer bowl, it will heat up and start smoking at a certain temperature. This smoke is then sent out through the air fryer exhaust vent, thus fogging up your kitchen. There are a few things you can do to prevent this.
- Clean out the grease: Remove the air fryer bowl, and take out all the layers inside. Pour out the grease in your trash can (please do not pour grease down the kitchen sink). With a kitchen towel, wipe down the air fryer bowl, and clean other parts as well. If you have time, the basket and bowl can be washed with soap and warm water and wiped clean.
- Soak grease with bread slices: If you do not have time to clean the grease, just remove the air fryer basket, and place one layer of bread slices over the grease in the air fryer bowl. The bread will soak up all the grease and have less oil available to smoke up.
- Kitchen Exhaust: Keep the kitchen exhaust on high, and place the air fryer closer to the exhaust (away from the gas stove heating elements). This way some of the smoke will be sucked in by your kitchen exhaust. Although somewhat helpful, this method is not as efficient as the first one.
Some More Suggestions: Salads, Sides, and Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Air Fryer Green Bean Casserole
- Air Fryer
- Oven Safe Bowl
For Blanching Green Beans
- 16 cups Water
- 4 Tablespoons Salt
- 16 cups Water with Ice
- 4 cups Fresh Green Beans ends trimmed (1 lb or 400 g)
- 1 can (14 oz) Condensed Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup Fried Onions 1/2 cup for mixing, 1/2 cup for topping
- Salt – to taste
Prepare Green Beans
- Trim beans and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Wash, drain, and pat dry.
- In a large pot add water and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add green beans to the boiling water for 3 minutes (see notes)
- Remove beans from boiling water and immerse them in ice water for 3 minutes.
- Drain the green beans and keep them aside.
- Combine blanched green beans, soup, and 1/2 cup of fried onions in the oven-safe bowl.
- Air fry at 360 F / 180 C for 10 minutes
- Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of fried onions over the top of the casserole and air fry for 2-3 minutes till golden and crispy.
More Content You Might Enjoy:
More Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
More Air Fryer Recipes
Information given here is for general purposes only. Please check with your doctor particular ingredient or way of eating is suitable for you. Our nutritional values are calculated by Spooncular API. While we try our best to ensure these values are correct, please confirm these independently.